A3 Lemon batteries and other batteries (student instructions)
Experimentation instructions for Experimento | 10+:
Detailed instructions and questions for students on conducting the experiment "Lemon batteries and other batteries – Electricity from chemical energy". This experiment comprises six subexperiments.
This medium is made available under a CC BY-SA 4.0 international license.
What does this mean?
How to reference this medium
• How well does the “fruit and vegetable battery" work?
• The “lemon battery": What role does each element play?
• The “lemon battery" without the lemon
• Boosting battery performance
• Spontaneous copper plating?
• A professional zinc-copper battery
For each subexperiment, the students are first provided with an overview of the materials to be used and safety information. This overview is followed by the detailed, step-by-step instructions for conducting the experiment. Afterwards, the students are asked to note their observations. Specific questions are used to guide the students as they analyze the results of the experiments. At the end, the students are asked probing questions related to the experiment (an answer sheet is available for teachers).
• Observe the safety information in the instructions as well as the applicable safety guidelines for your school and discuss it with your students.