A5 Properties of solar cells (student instructions)
Experimentation instructions for Experimento | 10+:
Background information on the content and practical information on conducting the experiment "Properties of solar cells – Voltage, current and power". This experiment comprises six subexperiments.
This medium is made available under a CC BY-SA 4.0 international license.
What does this mean?
How to reference this medium
• First investigations with the solar cell
• Short-circuit current and no-load voltage at different distances from the lamp
• What happens when you connect solar cells in series or in parallel?
• Current and voltage with solar cells connected in series and in parallel
• How do solar cells connected in series or in parallel behave when shaded?
• Optimizing the power output of solar cells
For each subexperiment, the students are first provided with an overview of the materials to be used and safety information. This overview is followed by the detailed, step-by-step instructions for conducting the experiment. Afterwards, the students are asked to note their observations. Specific questions are used to guide the students as they analyze the results of the experiments. At the end, the students are asked probing questions related to the experiment (an answer sheet is available for teachers).
• Observe the safety information in the instructions as well as the applicable safety guidelines for your school and discuss it with your students.