B2 Greenhouse effect in a drinking cup (student instructions)
Experimentation instructions for Experimento | 10+:
Detailed instructions and questions for students on conducting the experiment "Greenhouse effect in a drinking cup – A model for illustrating climate change". This experiment comprises four subexperiments.
• What influence does it have on the temperature if the cup is closed? – Measurements in an open cup
• What influence does it have on the temperature if the cup is closed? – Measurements in a closed cup
• What influence does the color of the absorber have? – Measurements in a closed cup with a black absorber
• What influence does the color of the absorber have? – Measurements in a closed cup with an aluminum foil absorber
For each subexperiment, the students are first provided with an overview of the materials to be used and safety information. This overview is followed by the detailed, step-by-step instructions for conducting the experiment. Afterwards, the students are asked to note their observations. Specific questions are used to guide the students as they analyze the results of the experiments. At the end, the students are asked probing questions related to the experiment (an answer sheet is available for teachers).
• Observe the safety information in the instructions as well as the applicable safety guidelines for your school and discuss it with your students.