Turbines and generators in the Walchensee power plant
The photo shows the turbine hall in the Walchensee power plant near Kochel in Upper Bavaria, Germany. The horizontal Francis turbines are on the left and the associated generators are on the right.
When it was commissioned in 1924, it was one of the most modern storage power plants in the world. It uses two natural lakes, Lake Walchen as the upper reservoir and Lake Kochel as the lower reservoir. Through six 430 m pressure pipes with a slightly decreasing diameter from top to bottom of about 2 m, the water flows with a height of drop of over 200 m to the eight turbines in the power house. The eight turbines deliver approximately 300 million kilowatt-hours of environmentally friendly energy annually. Every year, some 100,000 visitors tour the information center at the Walchensee power plant.