Why is a T-shirt so inexpensive?
The most important cost elements of a 4.95-euro T-shirt are illustrated based on a simplified sample calculation.
• Cultivation costs of the raw material cotton in the United States
• Costs to transport the cotton to Asia for processing
• Costs to process the cotton into a T-shirt, e.g., in Bangladesh
• Costs to transport the T-shirt for sales in Europe
• Sale costs of the T-shirt in Europe
• Profit for the fashion chain
• Value-added tax.
The individual steps are displayed by clicking the “Next" button. For each step, there is an explanation that can be shown and hidden. The individual costs are totaled on a symbolic “cash register."