Products travel around the world
The “world tour" of a T-shirt during its manufacturing process is shown step by step.
• Cultivation of the raw material cotton in the United States
• Transport of the cotton to Asia for processing
• Processing of the cotton into a T-shirt, e.g., in Bangladesh
• Transport of the T-shirt to Europe for selling
• Sale of the T-shirt in Europe
The individual steps can be displayed by clicking the “Next" button. For each step, an explanation can be displayed.
Information and ideas:
When it comes to the topic of clothing – similar to the topic of foods – the students usually are not aware of what is even feasible and has long become essential for us thanks to globalization. The topic of clothing therefore works particularly well for thinking about globalization.
In reality, the individual manufacturing steps are often distributed among many more countries than this interactive graphic shows. And even for secondhand clothing, the “world tour" is often not over yet: Charity organizations collect this clothing in rich countries and send it to poorer countries, e.g., in Africa, where it is then worn, or further processed and possibly sent on a new “tour" in another form.